Primary Care Behavioral Health
What is Primary Care Behavioral Health (PCBH)?
The PCBH model connects behavioral health services with the primary care you receive at CommUnityCare. In this model, you briefly meet with a Behavioral Health Consultant (BHC) while you are at the clinic for a primary care appointment.
What is a Behavioral Health Consultant (BHC)?
The BHC is not a traditional counselor or therapist, but a member of your primary care team that helps you with problems that impact your overall health. The BHC works closely with your primary care provider to improve health concerns including but not limited to management of diabetes, pain, hypertension, sleep, depression, anxiety, stress, etc. The BHC does not prescribe medications.
What can I expect when I meet with a BHC?
- During your first meeting, the BHC will get a current snapshot of your life, stressors, and coping skills.
- The initial meeting with a BHC is approximately 30 minutes.
- Together, you create a plan and identify personal goals to help better manage what is going on in your life.
- After your first visit, you may decide to follow up with the BHC a few times to briefly check in about questions, concerns, or challenges you might have in reaching your specific health goal.
- Many patients receive the help they need after meeting with the BHC in just 2 or 3 visits.
What if I want more traditional mental health counseling?
If you decide that you want traditional mental health counseling, your care team can help connect you with longer-term counseling services in the community.