The CommUnityCare Referrals Department is responsible for assisting with referrals, diagnostics and authorizations. For referrals or diagnostics that require an authorization from your insurance, the referral department will request this on your behalf and contact you once a decision has been made. The referral department will also fax any clinical documentation related to your referral or diagnostic. Below lists the phone options you will hear when calling the Referrals Department. Please see some key definitions listed below.
- Referral – an order placed to medical specialist by a primary care provider or other provider
- Specialty referral – referral services offered within CommUnityCare
- Diagnostic – exams used to gather clinical information some examples include CT and MRI scans
- Authorization – documentation of permission to perform a test or referral from an insurance company
- Commercial insurance – insurance provided directly from an insurance company (example: Blue Cross Blue Shield, UnitedHealthcare, etc.) or government agency (example: Medicaid, Medicare)